Live Bird Operations Manager
The Live Bird Operations Manager oversees all functions related to Rembrandt Foods’ Layer Operations including pullets, pullet scheduling, layers, layer scheduling, eggshell recovery, litter management, feed mill, including production of all feed for Rembrandt’s layers and pullets, and maintenance of the layer and pullet site as well as related outside site maintenance at the Rembrandt site. Additionally, the Live Bird Operations Manager will be responsible for deep understanding of bird management and techniques for bird optimization. The position manages the operation of the overall feed mill functions to include ingredient inventories, grain storage and feed rations for pullets and layers. The Live Bird Operations Manager also manages the maintenance of the layer and pullet buildings as well as the feed mill, to include scheduled and preventative maintenance. The position is also responsible for monitoring and compliance of wastewater treatment operations, including the operation of the onsite RO system onsite. This position has full P&L accountability and is responsible for financial objectives and timely reporting of those objectives. The Site Operations Manager leads all employees to achieve performance expectations and partners closely with Human Resources, Safety and Environmental as appropriate. The individual in this position is expected to be available to support the site on a 24/7 basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides deep subject matter expert on bird health and bird optimization
- Manages, coaches and trains the supervisory staff in the feed mill, layer barns and pullet site
- Coordinates layer and pullet site activities (e.g., production, maintenance, quality, safety) through the planning with departmental managers to ensure total operational objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Accountable for financial objectives and reporting – including developing and managing annual budgets
- Establishes and monitors overall Stage 1 performance for production and quality standards
- Monitors the feed mill to ensure rations are mixed to meet the nutritional needs of the pullets and layers. Reviews inventories of grain and ingredients to maintain accurate feed levels at all times.
- Manages litter removal to produce high quality, low moisture by-product to maximize the resale value of the litter.
- Manages reverse osmosis system and wastewater to ensure availability of water to source processing operations at the site, and to ensure compliance with regulatory and permit requirements.
- Reviews the grain contracts and ordering systems to ensure best pricing structure and shares responsibility for the P&L for the Feed Mill.
- Reviews the BOL and scale house practices to ensure policies and quality practices are followed and entries are accounted for in the SAP system.
- Implements cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, wages, and salaries
- Maintains existing plant facilities and equipment; replace, repair, or make adjustments to plant facilities and equipment when necessary. Reviews the feeding, watering, and air handling schedules and systems to ensure equipment is functioning and replacement of equipment is carried out at identified intervals.
- Oversees the mortality reporting. Determines causes and alleviates identified factors to increase production.
- Schedules and maintains a structured preventative maintenance schedule for Pullets and Layers for inside and outside of the facility.
- Supports annual budget process for the layers, pullet facilities, feed mill and maintenance departments.
- Maintains outside relationships with environmental regulatory agencies
- Manages biosecurity protocol implementation and achievement of animal welfare objectives
- Leads and implements continuous improvement initiatives
- Responsible for employee engagement and retention
- Establishes and monitors coworker performance and developmental goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives, establishes priorities, conducts performance appraisals, and administers salary adjustments as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 7+ years’ experience working with live poultry
- College degree
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Accessible on 24/7 basis
- Mathematical Skills – Logical/Analytical, Percentages, Fractions, Moderate Algebra
- Computer Skills-Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Internet
- Advanced English: fluent in: speaking, reading and writing
- 10+ years’ poultry and/or other agriculturally based management experience
- Master’s Degree or PHD in poultry science, animal science or other related fields
- Ability to speak Spanish